The Integrated transport system is the integration of different modes of transport in order to increase the efficiency of these modes by complementing one another with the aim of increasing the economic and social benefits. It’s a better way of moving people, goods and services without relying on a single mode of transportation e.g. road transportation. These transport modes are expected to complement one another by functioning together as a single important transport system. The Integrated transport system deals in best practice methodologies, managing physical and operating with the needed skills for better performance in which each mode is interconnected and the connection is highly unified including ticketing, scheduling, amongst others. However, the following are the benefits of the integrated transport system:
1. It reduces unhealthy competitions while encourages free and healthy competitions
2. It is a means of perfect transportation by using all modes of transportation harmoniously as a single system to provide transport services.
3. It enhance effective use of all transportation modes
4. It is cost efficient
5. The system is environmental friendly when you compare it with each mode operated independently.
6. It enhances capacity, reliability and safety when you compare it with operating each mode independently
7. It is aimed at satisfying customer’s i.e. (passengers) needs as efficiently as possible.
8. The system has the capacity to achieve greater productivity and economy
9. It creates no room for unnecessary gaps. Every mode is efficiently used.
10. It creates unity and cooperation among transport industries.